By Hikaru Suzuki
Read or Download The Price of Death: The Funeral Industry in Contemporary Japan PDF
Best anthropology books
Funerary practices have lengthy been a vintage subject of anthropological inquiry, which has tended to target loss of life rituals as expressions and reinforcers of neighborhood ties and values. during this e-book, the writer seems to be at funerals as an city company, in response to her fieldwork at a wide eastern funeral corporation.
Tradition, our bodies and the Sociology of health and wellbeing explores the bounds among our bodies and society with specific connection with uncovering the cultural parts of wellbeing and fitness and the ways that our bodies are labeled in keeping with a kind of culturally embedded 'health orthodoxy'. Illustrating the significance of contextualizing the physique as a cultural entity, this booklet demonstrates that the areas and bounds among fit our bodies have gotten extra various than ever earlier than.
Utilizing facts gathered from a hundred and five families in Sonora, Mexico, the writer combines designated ethnographic study with quantitative analyses of source of revenue, nutrition, and dietary prestige to check the nutritional styles of citizens who "cook and cope one of the cacti. " utilizing a brand new analytical proposal of "available source of revenue" - that may range tremendously from overall source of revenue and supply invaluable perception into why humans consume what they do - the paintings explores a number of social and cultural components that impact nutrition expenditure and intake.
Essay from the yr 2015 within the topic Cultural reviews - Miscellaneous, , language: English, summary: This paper attempts to increase the way to comprehend the slow evolution of tradition in oriental societies. It makes use of observational option to draw end and inferences. It additionally makes an attempt to stipulate the buildings during which tradition takes form over a time period.
- From Slavery to Agrarian Capitalism in the Cotton Plantation South: Central Georgia, 1800-1880 (Fred W. Morrison Series in Southern Studies)
- The Spirit of Industry and Improvement: Liberal Government and Rural-Industrial Society, Nova Scotia, 1790-1862
- Production, Consumption, Business and the Economy: Structural Ideals and Moral Realities: 34 (Research in Economic Anthropology)
- Mothers' Darlings of the South Pacific: The Children of Indigenous Women and U.S. Servicemen, World War II
- Foreign Eyes : International Students Reflect on Utrecht
- City of Noise: Sound and Nineteenth-Century Paris (Studies in Sensory History)
Extra info for The Price of Death: The Funeral Industry in Contemporary Japan
The Price of Death: The Funeral Industry in Contemporary Japan by Hikaru Suzuki